Here are a variety of interesting facts about Oklahoma City. Some of them are elements of historical trivia while others are current facts or statistics. If you have other documented facts that you think should be added, drop me an e-mail. This list will be continually updated.
Current Information and Statistics
- Oklahoma City is currently the largest city in Oklahoma.
- According to the 2000 census, it is the 30th largest in terms of population in the United States.
- In land area, it is the 3rd largest in the nation behind Anchorage and Jacksonville.
- The median household income is $34,947, among the lowest in the nation.
- And the cost of living is the among the lowest in the nation.
- The current Mayor is Mick Cornett.
Historical Facts and Interesting Trivia
- The name “Oklahoma” comes from the Choctaw words “okla,” meaning “people,” and “humma,” meaning “red.” Literally translated, the name means “red people.”
- Oklahoma City is one of only two capital cities with their state name as part of the city name. The other is Indianapolis, IN.
- Those who snuck over the boundaries the night before the Land Run to claim the area around Oklahoma City are known as “Sooners.”
- Oklahoma City became the state’s capital in 1910 when a petition garnered enough support to move it from Guthrie. The state Governor at the time, Charles Haskell, is said to have led a midnight run to Guthrie to get the state seal.
- The Lee-Huckins Hotel served as the capitol building until 1917 when the current capitol was finished.
- The capitol building at 23rd and Lincoln is the only capitol in the nation with an oil well under it.
- The capitol building was originally supposed to have a dome, but a lack of funds prevented it. A dome wasn’t added until 2002.
- Tinker Air Force Base is the 2nd largest military air depot in the nation.
- Oklahoma has more man-made lakes than any other state.
- Oklahoma has more shoreline than the Atlantic and Gulf coasts combined.
- The first ever parking meter was installed in Oklahoma City in 1935.
- The first ever shopping cart was invented and used in Oklahoma City at Standard Food Markets in 1937.
- The automated Twist Tie machine was invented in 1961 by Earl Burford and first used at the Rainbow Bakery in Oklahoma City, now known as the Sara Lee Bakery.
- The nation’s premiere softball organization, the Amateur Softball Association of America, was founded in 1933 and is based in Oklahoma City.
- WKY, AM 930 in Oklahoma City, was the first radio station transmitting from West of the Mississippi River.
- As part of a renewal plan, Oklahoma City planned to build a gigantic shopping mall called “The Galleria” in the 1960’s. Money ran out, however, and only a parking garage was actually constructed.
- The Oklahoma City bombing of April 19, 1995 is the considered the largest domestic terrorist attack in the nation’s history. According to the FBI, “domestic” refers to the individual or group behind the attacks rather than their location. It was the largest terrorist attack on U.S. soil until the events of September 11, 2001.